Unlocking a Toyota A11712 AM/FM Cassette Stereo Audio System
July 29, 2010
A while back, I got a used Toyota
stereo from a neighbor that upgraded his audio system. This
stereo came out of a 1997 Toyota Camry with what Toyota calls "premium
sound". What that means, is that this stereo drives a six speaker
amplifier and only has preamp output levels - i.e this stereo cannot
drive speakers directly. Unfortunately, this radio came with the
dreaded "Anti-theft system" which locks the radio when disconnected
from the battery. After a bit of research, I learned how to
unlock this and similar stereos.
Toyota Stereo Model A11712 (on the front panel)
Toyota part number: 86120-06071
Fujitsu Ten model number: 121000-4130D101
Unlock code is 640702.
Note: If during code entry three seconds lapse between pressing a button during steps 6-10 the display will reset to dashes.
- Connect the radio to power. At a minimum, you will need to connect 12V to ACC, B+ and ground to the case.
- If the radio powers up and the display reads HELP and the little key indicator is lit then proceed to step 6. If the display reads SEC, continue to the next step.
- Press and hold the TUNE UP button, then simultaneously press and hold the 1 button until three dashes appear on the display.
- Use the 1, 2, and 3 buttons to enter any random code, then press and hold the SCAN button until the display shows ERR, and cycles back to SEC.
To the left of the ERR
display, you will notice a single digit number that increment by 1
every time you perform steps 3 & 4. Repeat steps 3 & 4
ten times, after
which the display will read HELP.
- Press and hold the 1, 4, and 6 buttons, then simultaneously press and
hold the POWER button until SEC appears on the display.
- You are now ready to enter the first 3 digits of the code. Press and hold the TUNE UP
button, then simultaneously press and hold the 1 button until dashes
and an up arrow appear on the display.
- Press the 1 button until 6 appears, press the 2 button until 4 appears, press the 3 button until 0 appears. The display will read 640.
- You are now ready to enter the last 3 digits of the code. Press and hold the TUNE DOWN button, then simultaneously press and hold the 1 button until dashes and a down arrow appear on the display.
- Repeat step 7, this time inputting = 7, 0, 2. The display will read 702.
- Press and hold the SCAN button until SEC appears on the display for a
few moments then goes blank. The unit is now operational. Hit the POWER button to turn the stereo on. If ERR
appears briefly followed by SEC, start back
at step 6
I also found some references online that suggested that the unlock code for the non-premium version of this stereo is: 752722
Below is additional reference information for this radio
When powered off, current consumption at 13.8VDC is 20mA
When powered on, current consumption at 13.8VDC is 290mA
Since this radio does not have a
final audio stage, I do not expect the current to change much with
volume. Also note that I didn't measure current consumption with
a cassette tape playing - who uses those anymore?
Here is the identification label of this unit:
Here is a closeup of the panel showing the model number:
This is the 15 pin connector going to the power amplifier. If
anyone knows where a mating connector can be had, please drop me a note.
Looking into the connector above, the pins are numbered as follows:
Top row: 7- 6- 5- - - - 4- 3- 2- 1
Bottom row: 15-14- -13-12-11-10- - 9- 8
||Blue / White
||AMP Turn On (output)
||Constant 12V (input)
||Brown / White
||Lt Front AMP (+)(output)
||Rt Front AMP (+) (output)
||Power Antenna (output)
||Telephone Mute (input)
||Black / White
||Brown / Yellow
||Lt Rear AMP(+)(output)
||Rt Rear AMP(+)(output)
Additional information on the connectors and pinout can be had on the SupraForums.
Metra also has pinout reference.
Back to Home Page